Protogrid at a Glance
Develop and run mobile apps in the cloud using Rapid Application Development.
Running on all devices – also offline!
Build Apps Without Writing Code
Protogrid is based on the Rapid-Application-Development model. With other solutions, a developer often has to spend hours or sometimes even days to create and configure an application that in some cases can then only be used on one specific operating system. Protogrid eliminates this burden. Using Protogrid, a user can set up a basic database application within minutes and quickly get to work improving their app and tailoring it to their specific needs, thanks to an intelligent system that automatically creates views and arranges the data in the best possible way. Convince yourself in a few minutes and register now your personal Protogrid Environment for free.
Users today spend an increasing amount of time working on their smartphones and tablets. Protogrid allows you to work seamlessly across all devices. A database application in Protogrid can be rolled out instantly as a web application or as a fully featured application for modern mobile devices such as the iPhone and iPad with a couple of clicks. Soon, you’ll be able to rollout your database applications to Android devices as well.
Multilingual User Interface
Protogrid features built-in multi language support in every application. This means that every written word in a Protogrid database application can make use of a wide number of translations into any needed language. These translations are painlessly defined and can be edited or expanded at any time.
As you can see here, many mobile Apps do not function properly when the device offline. With Protogrid this isn’t a problem anymore, because all Protogrid Apps inherently work offline. Protogrid Apps don’t need permanent access to the internet in order to function. It’s possible to work trouble-free at any time and any location. You’re never left hanging without access to important information. All relevant data is saved locally and will be synchronized automatically once an internet connection is reestablished.
- Change your data model any time – Protogrid will keep your documents up to date automatically.
- Create filters to let users drill down into your data.
- List, search, sort, and link – all out of the box without you having to develop anything.
The following clients are currently available for Protogrid.
- Web Interface: We support the latest version of Chrome, Firefox, Safari and Edge as well als IE 11+.
- since Q2 2014
- iOS client
- since Q4 2014
- Android Client (currently in closed beta version)
- since Q1 2017
The following enhancements are comming soon. Would you like to see something else prioritized, or have something in this list moved up? Please let us know.
- Print function for Cards
- Android client (currently in closed beta version)
- Automated password recovery (can be deactivated)
- Sending mail from Protogrid
- Integration with external file hosting services such as Dropbox
- Freely defineable Card icons
- Desktop Client
- Unified iOS Client, allowing your Protogrid apps to be rolled out in minutes
- LDAP and Active Directory integration
- Rich Text support
- Workflow engine
- Import and Export of entire Protogrid apps or a subset of their Cards
A Reliable Partner
- Protogrid is supported by ATEGRA Corp., a software engineering company founded in 1994 with hundreds of satisfied customers worldwide. ATEGRA runs development centers in Zurich (Switzerland) and Barcelona (Spain). The headquarters are at Kreuzstrasse 60 in Zurich, Switzerland.
- We are here to stay. Your Protogrid Environment is guaranteed to be up and running for at least the next five years, starting from January 1st of the current year. In other words: we would inform you 5 years ahead of a possible shut down. Protogrid is unique in giving you such guarantees. Protogrid fits into your contingency planning.
- Protogrid has a friendly support ready to answer your questions and solve your problems.
- Protogrid has been designed by smart engineers from ETH Zurich, one of the top ten ranked universities in the world.
- Protogrid is hosted in Germany, a country with very high data protection standards, according to the "List of Countries" of the Federal Data Protection and Information Commissioner (FDPIC).
Protogrid makes extensive use of high-quality open-source technologies. Here we list the most relevant:
Docker is a modern solution that offers isolation, virtualization, and dependency management for Linux environments without significant performance loss. We use this technology to give each Protogrid environment its own isolated container and to bundle the Protogrid runtime.
Protogrid is based on CouchDB, a lightweight document-based database system. Each Protogrid “card” is mapped to a CouchDB document for persistence. We chose this database system because it allows replication without any preconditions and because it is mobile-capable using Couchbase Lite. In other words, our mobile clients sport a fully-featured database system that replicates with the Protogrid Cloud, so you can have your data ready for offline use whenever and wherever.
The Protogrid Webserver is Python-based. Using Python, often called the Swiss Army knife of scripting languages, makes our back-end powerful, yet highly versatile. It also ensures that we’ll be able to offer APIs to all important environments in the future. Do you need your Domino, Sharepoint, Oracle, SAP, MSSQL, JSON, and/or Excel to talk to Protogrid? Contact us and we’ll work out a solution for you.
Protogrid is being developed by members of the highly motivated and qualified Cloud Innovation Team of ATEGRA AG, Zürich, Switzerland.
Product Manager, System Architect
MSc ETH in Electrical Engineering and Information Technology
BSc in Visual Communication, Zurich University of the Arts
Mobile Product Engineer
Software Engineer ETH
Quality Assurance Reviewer, Chief Security Officer
Dipl. El.-Ing. ETH
Quality Assurance Manager
Dipl. Ing. ETH